Tuesday 12 August 2008

The meaning of what we do

Tonight I went to visit a friend who was recently involved in a car accident. He was hospitalized and had gone through quite a major surgery on his back and now he's got two metal piece and eight titanium screws on his spine. Alhamdulillah and thankfully he's now alright and he's even able to move about only after a week, albeit with the assistance of a back support. The doctor says that he will recover pretty soon. Rest well and bounce back my friend.

However, it is incidents like this that makes me look back and remind myself the meaning of what I do. It is difficult in our business to see the value of what we do. It's not like physical things or products that you can see. How do you prove things like faith, how do you prove you're good? How do you prove the miracle of your product and the quality of the company you represent?

If you try to do it with proof, you lose! But when it's in your heart, when you believe in yourself, believe in this business and believe in the miracle of your products and the company you represent. Then you can look at people in the eye and believe me, a lot of people have told me that I can do better somewheres else, and I can look them right in the eye and say you're wrong.

But it's not easy is it! How do you feel, when people say ... you're an insurance agent !! puuiii ... they spit at you!!

Do we realize, that it is us that creates the vacuum, that gets people to act. It's not the knowledge! There are plenty of books and references that provides us all the materials. What do you want, financial planning, education, retirement. The theory is all there. It's not about the knowledge, but it's what you do!

Do we realized that if people don't DO something that they can't retire with dignity when they're 65. If they don't DO something, their family will be exposed to a high degree of risk. If they don't DO something, they may have to re-finance their home for the children's further education.

What a gift, when we have the chance to do more for the average person compared to anyone one else! We are in a position to help create and secure that DO! When I deliver a death claim, the lawyers are there charging a fee, the accountants are there charging a fee. And I give them a cheque for a million ringgit, and I'm on defense? I got to apologize coz I'm an insurance person!

If you don't believe that, you lose!

No comments: